Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cheez-Its

Cheez-Its

On my way home yesterday, after exiting the train station I passed a conspicuous
amount of Cheez-Its scattered across a long swath of sidewalk near the curb. I wondered what would cause so many of the bright orange crackers to be littered this way. Did two kids fight over a box of them, sending most of them flying when one wrested the box from the other? Did someone trip over uneven concrete in the sidewalk? Was it just a social experiment designed to see how many people would notice them?

The next morning it was raining when I left for work. I had forgotten the Cheez-Its, but as I neared the station, there they were. With much of their artificial color washed away, they were now pale and soggy, forlorn spongy flat blobs that looked like drops of vomit. I wondered if they would wash away completely or if I would find them again in the evening, further eroded and unrecognizable to those who hadn't witnessed them prior to their slow demise.

No comments: